Fabrics: 100% silk broadcloth (see farther down for discussion of the fabric). Also cotton for the petticoat and linen for the bodice and sleeve linings.
Chest: 36 - 38"
Waist: 29 - 31"
Back width: 14"
Hem of Petticoat: 39" at front
40" at back
44" at sides
I bought this dotted silk from an antique-mart in St. Petersburg some years ago. It came with no fiber content information. I did burn tests and determined it is definitely silk, though other than that the weave was somewhat of a mystery to me. It's not habotai, it's not satin, it's not taffeta, damask, or any of the other standards we all know. I eventually figured out (and I'm pretty sure on this) it's silk broadcloth. Little wonder I didn't recognize it, since most stores don't carry silk broadcloth.
Also, if you're wondering "are polka dots 18th century accurate?" the answer is yes =) They were not the most common thing, definitely not as popular as stripes, but they were around. There is a pinterest board dedicated to 18th century images of the polka dot
I scaled up the original pattern featured in The Cut of Women's Clothes by about 6 inches on the waist and chest evenly, so the ratio is still the same. I have made this pattern before (see Pink Pet en l'air), but I forgot to mention in that post the somewhat odd shape of the sleeves. The way they are cut as the forward facing seem quite high on the armhole.
The original pattern also has the lining on the back only, with the fronts being supported only by the dress fabric. I didn't like that, so I drafted up a lining for the front as well.
(below) front section pined to lining at sides and armhole. Also, top pleat pinned in place for top stitching.
(below) Back Watteau pleats pinned in place over lining.
I would have preferred to do ruching all the way around the hem, but I was unfortunately limited on my yardage. I trimmed the edges with a very narrow loop braid (I don't like pinking and have yet to find a good scalloping edge tool), then pinned out spaced box pleats on the leading edges.
Once that was done, I applied all the trim by hand.
~Comperes Front Stomacher~
This is also not part of the original pattern. I did the buttonholes by hand and made buttons by cinching circles of the silk fabric around existing flat shank buttons (not those metal covering buttons). Then wrapped the fabric tightly on the back side.
The stomacher is pinned to the lining, though I suppose once it is pinned as the wearer desires, she could then stitch it in place on the lining so that in the future she need only to undo the buttons.
(below) the robing pinned to the stomacher.
Finally, the back ties assist with fit adjustments.