Friday, 28 August 2015


A few days ago I had posted several patterns from the Waugh book and planned to post many more. But, a good fellow costumer informed me that the publishers of the Waugh book are planning a new addition soon, which definitely keeps the book "alive" and within the realm of copyright protects. So, I have decided to remove those pattern diagrams from this blog. Thanks again for the heads up. No one wants legal troubles! LOL


Wednesday, 26 August 2015

1879 Natural Form "Monochrome" Dress - Truly Victorian Patterns

Patterns: Bodice>TV422 "1881 Dinner Bodice"
                Over-Skirt> TV324 "1878 Long Draped Overskirt"
                Skirt> TV221 "1878 Tie-Back Underskirt"
Fabrics: 100% Silk Dupioni, silver grey. 100% Cotton, grey print on black.
Chest: 40" across bust.
Waist: 31"
Hip: <50"
Hem: 41"

I did not take any progress photos for this dress because none of the patterns are confusing or have special construction issues. The over-skirt I made "out of the box", with no alterations to the pattern. The skirt is also unaltered, with only hem ruffles added. I altered the bodice in the back by splitting it to form tails.

Wednesday, 19 August 2015

1950s Novelty Print Skirt

Pattern: None. Simple panel skirt.
Meaurements: 29" Waist (US 8, roughly). 28" long, mid-calf.
Available on ebay HERE
I ran across this beautiful Japanese them fabric some years ago, but could never decide what to do with it. It's a bold repeat print of Japanese traditional figures, such as Geishas, Samurai, courtesans, and Kabuki actors. Obviously not very appropriate to any of my more historical applications. So, I decided to make something in the current 1950s novelty print skirt fad that's been going on.

It is just two panels (the patterns ran one way), with the closure at the side with a planet and glass buttons, also vintage.

1880s Seaside Costume

Patterns: TV 367 Over-skirt. the bodice and under-skirt are my own drafting.
Fabrics: 100% Cotton print, Cotton eyelet, Egyptian cotton lining.
Measurements: Chest 41", Waist 35", Hip Free, Hem 39"
Available on ebay HERE

I got some inspiration for the bodice from a fashion plate, circa 1888. The center portion is like a stomacher, detaching completely from buttons on either wise. The collar is in one pieces with the front pieces,forming a rolled collar.

Saturday, 15 August 2015

1880s Bridal Toilette - Harper's Bazar, March 1880

Patterns: From Harper's Bazar, March 1880. Reproduced in 1/8 scale in Fashions of the Gilded Age Vol. 2, by Frances Grimble.
Fabric: Heavy weight bridal satin, polyester.
Alterations Summary: The skirt back is only half the width of what the original pattern calls for. I decided not to do the jabot and high collar, but made a separate collar. Other smaller things too, which I will note below.
Available via ebay HERE

Thursday, 6 August 2015

1880s Plaid Suit With Bolero Jacket

Patterns: Truly Victorian 290 "1889 Draped Skirt"
           *I used a basic bodice pattern to draft the vest and jacket.
Fabrics: Vest & Skirt - polyester/rayon suiting, plaid.
               Bolero Jacket - 100% linen suiting, black.
Final Measurements:
         Chest: 44"
         Waist: 37"
         Hem: 41" at front.

I have made this skirt pattern several times and there really isn't much to tell. The pleating at the waist can be daunting the first few times, but now it's almost second nature.

Monday, 3 August 2015

1869 Parlor Dress

Pattern: Truly Victorian #202 "1869 Grand Parlor Skirt"
               Truly Victorian #400 "Bodice" (heavily altered)
Fabric: Embroidered taffeta, polyester/rayon. Velvet, cotton/rayon.
Available on ebay---->HERE
The Grand Parlor Skirt is a very simple pattern, but I have always liked its shape and hang, especially at the back. As for the bodice, it too is very simple. I added a collar and the velvet plastron at the front, as well as some minor reshaping to the bottom edge. My greatest deviation from both patterns is basically just the addition of all the velvet work.